Transitioning to Being the Stranger While Welcoming the Stranger

 


Life has an interesting way of guiding and inspiring us. We experience seasons of abundance and seasons of fathomless challenge on both micro and macro levels. As our nation grapples with global tariffs and a shifting world order, I’ll be honest: I feel very uninformed and have intentionally blocked out much of the static media.

Still, I see the impacts within my chosen community.

Some of my trans friends and connections have gone radio silent, fading away in fear and choosing isolation. I’ve watched highly skilled and educated friends lose senior-level positions, replaced by younger workers or AI-driven solutions. In my nonprofit work, I see an uptick in need like never before. I witness political back-and-forth and leaders speaking out of both sides of their mouths. My own workload has more than doubled, even as I try to move forward with steadiness and resolve.

In my Spiritual practice of following the Rule of Benedict, I’ve been taught to welcome everyone especially strangers as though they are Christ themselves. I’ve always practiced this with people I don’t know. Yet lately, the tables have turned.

Now I find myself seeking services from one of my closest friends. She was always gainfully employed as a CPA, comfortably earning six figures. Today, she is experiencing unemployment and using this moment to build her own freelance forensic accounting business. She is a single mother and a survivor of mental abuse in a male-dominated culture. She is a woman of deep resilience and many abilities, who has always found her way through grief and hardship.

Earlier today, I received a random call from a company called Onwell Property Services, informing me that my homestead exemption on my condo had been removed after a recent investment transaction. Rather than pay them, I took matters into my own hands. A few AI searches later, I found the proper paperwork available for free through the county appraisal district. The only caveat: it had to be filed with a notary public.

That led me to text my unemployed friend, now building her business, with this message:

“I need to consult with you for your notary services, and I expect to be charged like any stranger off the street.”

Her immediate response wasn’t about business it was genuine concern for my well-being. From there, we worked out how to align our schedules to meet in person. She is Muslim and observing Ramadan, so evenings when I’m most available are challenging because she is breaking fast with her family and faith community. I shared that Lent in my own tradition happens to align this year. As always, we journey together, sharing faith, learning from one another, and enriching each other’s cultures.

Yes, I have other options for notary services. But I refuse to wait in line at a bank or shipping store. Instead, we will make time to share physical space, exchange services, and I will pay her a fair wage.

And as part of this exchange when I receive two years of refunded property taxes I will prayerfully consider where those unexpected funds might be donated.

You probably have people in your inner circle who offer services or own businesses. Instead of expecting a discount, meet them at a human level. Exchange value. Create impact. Let it ripple outward.

Sometimes welcoming the stranger means becoming one yourself.

 


Comments

  1. This is so beautifully written and so important. I appreciate you always showing up this way for your people and for calling others in to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamika...We're fictive ken and have always exchange on human and material level but as both champions for others the paybacks are somewhat unable to be measured....

      Delete
  2. That is really beautiful. Kindness always radiates from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony! It will be great to connect sometimes soon! Cheers!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Coming Home

Stirring When the Building Squeals