Stirring When the Building Squeals

 The first four months of 2026 have moved at a rapid pace, and there has been a great deal unfolding in my life. I have recently stepped into a higher-level role with a nonprofit organization I have been connected to for more than 20 years. Over time, I have served as a partner, donor, researcher, and board member, and now I have the privilege of serving as executive director. It has been an incredible journey to experience this work from so many different perspectives.

We are an emerging nonprofit founded by a passionate singer-songwriter who truly lives out the vision and purpose of the work we are called to do. In a relatively short time, we have grown from having no paid staff to a team of four, each compensated at varying levels as we all balance other commitments and careers. Our focus is on supporting families and students who are experiencing hardship and working to remain housed during a time when affordable housing is increasingly scarce and often overlooked in city planning.

This season has also been an emotional journey. As someone who is neurodivergent, it can be challenging to stay grounded and focused when pressures are coming from all directions. In my role, I often serve as a filter and buffer between the board, staff, donors, partners, sponsors, and supporters. One of the ways I am caring for myself is by returning to therapy. My therapist is highly skilled in higher education, is a clinical social worker, and is also part of my faith community. This has been a meaningful support as I process the demands of executive leadership while remaining mindful of the importance of self-care.

I also work with a spiritual director, and I recognize that I am overdue for a session. I am planning to schedule time soon to reconnect and continue that important aspect of my grounding.

At the same time, my full-time work continues to evolve and thrive. Our dual credit program is reaching new milestones, with a record number of ninth-grade students completing nine hours of college credit and staying on track to graduate with an associate degree. We are also seeing a growing number of students graduate high school with their associate degrees, a trend that continues to build momentum each year. Despite transitions within our team, including shifts in roles, retirements, and new staff, we remain a strong and supportive group committed to serving students and expanding access to free college education.

This morning, I woke up two hours before my alarm to a loud squealing noise in my building. I can usually sleep through almost anything, but this sound was persistent and difficult to ignore. At first, I thought it might be the fire alarm, but I eventually realized it was air in the water pipes. Rather than resist it, I put on headphones, played music, and used the unexpected time to write and reflect on this current season of my life.  It also woke Charles so we are both stirring around early today.

Even in the midst of everything, I find myself filled with a sense of joy. The work I am called to do is significant, and while it demands much, it also allows me to live with purpose and to clearly see the impact being made.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Coming Home

Transitioning to Being the Stranger While Welcoming the Stranger